Are Daisies Toxic To Dogs?


Flower gardening is a popular hobby among many pet owners, especially those who own dogs and cats. While it is possible to grow beautiful flowers that are safe for your furry friends, there are some flowers that can be toxic if ingested or come into contact with the skin of your pet.

In this article, we will take a look at daisies and whether or not they are toxic to dogs – as well as other common flowers like chrysanthemums and carnations – so you can make an informed decision when designing your garden!

What Are Daisies?

Daisies are a type of flowering plant that belongs to the family Asteraceae, which includes over 22,000 species of flowering plants. They are known for their colourful blooms, which have been used in art and literature throughout history. The name “daisy” is derived from the Old English word “dægeseage”, meaning “day’s eye” – referring to the fact that the flower blooms during the day and closes its petals at night!

Daisies and Dogs – Can They Coexist?

The answer is yes! So long as you take certain precautions when planting daisies in your garden or around your home, you can enjoy a beautiful display without putting your dog at risk of poisoning or irritation. It should be noted however that some breeds may be more sensitive than others so it is important to keep an eye on your pup when around any type of flower or plant life!

Are Daisies Toxic to Dogs?

Unfortunately, the answer is yes – daisies can be toxic if ingested by dogs or come into contact with their skin. The toxicity level varies depending on the species of daisy but they all contain compounds like sesquiterpene lactones which can cause skin irritation and/or gastrointestinal upset if ingested by pets!

Common Symptoms of Daisy Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog has ingested daises, common symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhoea, incoordination and drooling – as well as skin irritation if it came into contact with their fur or body parts like ears or nose! If you suspect that your pup has ingested any part of a daisy it’s important to seek medical attention immediately as untreated poisoning can lead to more serious complications down the line!

How to Prevent Daisy Poisoning in Dogs

The best way to avoid any potential issues from arising when it comes to daisy poisoning in dogs is by keeping them away from areas where these flowers may be growing – either indoors or outdoors! It’s also a good idea to check for any signs of ingestion such as vomit or diarrhoea around where they may have been playing – just in case they have gotten into something they shouldn’t have!

What About Other Common Flowers?

It’s always important to research any type of flower before planting them in your garden or bringing them inside – particularly if you have pets living with you! Below we will take a quick look at two other popular varieties: chrysanthemums and carnations – which may also pose potential risks for your furry friends if ingested or come into contact with their skin!

Chrysanthemums and Dogs

Chrysanthemums are another type of flowering plant belonging to the same family as daises (Asteraceae) but they do contain compounds which can be mildly toxic if ingested by pets – most commonly causing skin irritation and/or gastrointestinal upset. It is important not to let your pup roam freely amongst chrysanthemum plants if you choose to grow these within your garden space!

Carnations and Dogs

Carnations are also members of the Asteraceae family but unlike chrysanthemums they don’t contain any compounds that are dangerous for dogs if ingested or come into contact with their skin – making them safe for pet owners looking for an alternative flower option that doesn’t pose any risks!

Alternatives To Dangerous Flowers For Dog Owners

If you want something pretty without risking exposure for your pup there are lots of other options available such as pansies, impatiens, petunias, coleus, geraniums and violets (to name only a few!) These flowers don’t contain any toxins that could cause harm so are much safer choices for those looking for a beautiful display without worrying about potential dangers lurking around every corner!


In conclusion there are many different types of flowers out there – some being safe for dogs while others being slightly more risky depending on their toxicity levels when ingested or come into contact with their skin/fur! It is always best practice when selecting plants for indoor/outdoor gardens (especially those with pets) do some research beforehand so you know exactly what each variety contains before committing yourself too much further down the line – safety first after all right!?

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *